• This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
31 Aug 2022
Our new version 11.0.11.0 is now available.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Problem with floor heights 06 Oct 2014 13:25 #1721

• Sean Johnson
  • Sean Johnson's Avatar Topic Author
Giving Admin rights will certainly work but it might be better to have those folders placed in the Program Data folder instead of the Programs folder in future versions.

Problem with floor heights 06 Oct 2014 11:46 #1719

If you give Visual Building Administration rights then you can save to the Program Object / Texture etc path. See here to give Admin rights .

Problem with floor heights 06 Oct 2014 09:07 #1718

The Visual Building Localisation update #5 is available.

Problem with floor heights 05 Oct 2014 23:45 #1717

• Sean Johnson
Thanks for the quick response.

I created a simplified copy of the project to send to you re-creating the problem. While I was doing that I managed to work out what I was doing wrong.
It was too obvious to see. I was applying the ceiling cut-out on the wrong floor i.e. the floor above. I was fixed on the idea that I needed to remove part of the first floor and what I actually needed to do was remove the ceiling from the ground floor.

The clue is in the function name :-)

The folder permissions problem was easy enough for me to fix by changing the permissions as Admin but I though it best to let you know as it took me a while to realise that files weren't being saved. (It might be worth a note to the developers to add a warning for failed file writes in future versions.)
Given Microsoft's desire to protect program files it might be better to move the default locations for these files to a folder in a non protected area My Docs etc.
BTW I am using Win Pro 7 Ultimate 64.

I have an other issue this time with staircases but I'll post that in a new topic.

Thanks again.

Problem with floor heights 05 Oct 2014 20:39 #1716

I would have used the ceiling cut out to resolve this and dont understand why this did not work for you. Please email you project to us so we may advise.

New localisation update for v5 will be released in next few days.

Read Only folders. I just checked and this appears due to a change in Windows, (at least on my Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro 3) as the same now happens in earlier v3 v4 versions.

You can however save to desktop and cut/paste to the target file. This Read only status does not affect the updates / upgrades, and is once again Windows trying to protect us from ourselves.

Problem with floor heights 05 Oct 2014 02:11 #1715

• Sean Johnson
The building I’m working on is a Victorian House, like many of its type there are changes in ceiling heights and floor levels in different parts of the building. Most of this I have been able to deal with with help from the tutorials and documentation. However, the house was split into two flats in the 1950’s and the staircase has been moved to provide independent access to the upper flat. This has created an area that would originally been a landing but is now part of the 1st floor but 0.75 meters below the normal floor level. I tried to use the ‘new level’ and room boundaries to lower this section relative to the rest of the floor but what I keep ending up with is two floor/ceilings one at the new level and one at the normal first floor level. I tried a cut-out but that had no effect. In the end I reduced the upper section of floor to zero thickness in the floor general properties. This has apparently achieved what I was looking for but it feels like a bodge. I’m concerned that this is the wrong way to solve this problem and would appreciate any advice on best practice in this situation.

PS. Just as feedback; I noticed after installing the V5 upgrade that some folders had been set as read only, preventing the saving on new templates for wall construction etc.

PPS.Have all the localisation updates for previous versions been included in V5?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds