• This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
31 Aug 2022
Our new version 11.0.11.0 is now available.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dual (Multi) Monitor Support 15 Nov 2013 21:07 #1084

• Andrew Fiddian-Green
  • Andrew Fiddian-Green's Avatar Topic Author
^

Well. You're almost there then...

Dual (Multi) Monitor Support 15 Nov 2013 19:05 #1083

You can also open the dialogs and some 3D (e.g. roof editor) window on second screen.
We also had a user who opened a second instance on second screen to allow him to select from a large catalogue selection, and was able to drag objects from one screen to the other.

Dual (Multi) Monitor Support 15 Nov 2013 15:49 #1082

• Andrew Fiddian-Green

admin wrote: If you have 2 monitors with same resolution you can also stretch the application window over However, the feature as you describe is on our wish list... thanks for adding your interest.

That is good to know. I look forward to the next update ;)

admin wrote: If you have 2 monitors with same resolution you can also stretch the application window over both screens to give you a wider workspace, thus allowing you to have multiple 2D and 3D views within the application window.

Understood. But as you say this only works if you have two identical resolution monitors. So unfortunately it does not apply in either of my cases: the PC where I have VisualBuilding installed has 1920x1080 (16:9) plus 1280x1024 (5:4) monitors. And (just to compare) my other PC has 1366x768 plus 1280x1024 monitors. So I think the possible combinations are almost endless. -- See this en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution ;)

Dual (Multi) Monitor Support 15 Nov 2013 13:41 #1081

If you have 2 monitors with same resolution you can also stretch the application window over both screens to give you a wider workspace, thus allowing you to have multiple 2D and 3D views within the application window.

However, the feature as you describe is on our wish list... thanks for adding your interest.

Dual (Multi) Monitor Support 15 Nov 2013 13:11 #1080

• Andrew Fiddian-Green
Nowadays it is quite common for people to have (at least) two screens e.g. the laptop screen and a separate monitor; and some have workstations with a panorama of three monitors. So it would be very useful if VisualBuilding could support more than one monitor. For example one could work on a 2D plan in one screen, and have the 3D visualization on a second screen, and (even) say an elevation on a third screen.

As we know, VisualBuilding does support multiple child windows, but currently the program creates those child windows using the (obsolete) Windows MDI (multiple document interface) style attribute. This means that each MDI child is constrained within the confines of the MDI client window, so the child windows cannot be positioned on another monitor. Now if you would change the window style attribute of the child windows from MDI style to regular window style, then you would be able to position the child windows anywhere that you wanted to (including outside the constraints of the client window).

Speaking as a programmer, I think that this should be a relatively minor and easy change to make. And it would greatly improve the utility of your program.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds