• This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
31 Aug 2022
Our new version 11.0.11.0 is now available.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Merge Roofs of Two Buildings 20 Nov 2013 08:29 #1096

• Andrew Fiddian-Green
  • Andrew Fiddian-Green's Avatar Topic Author
OK I will send the file this evening.

But in the meantime, I think I worked out (at least in my mind) how to do it. I probably need to convert the annex roof from its current rectangular profile into a very stubby L where the added stub of the L a) protrudes into the main building, but b) is sufficiently narrower than the annexe roof so won't slice through the wall of the upper room of the main building.

Merge Roofs of Two Buildings 19 Nov 2013 19:23 #1094

• Andrew Fiddian-Green
I am really struggling with merging these two roofs. Do you have any further suggestions?
Attachments:

Merge Roofs of Two Buildings 18 Nov 2013 13:57 #1091

The annex walls are in the annex building. You can still snap the annexe roof to the annex walls despite it being in the other building, but you cant use the auto contour insert and must use manual polygon input.

Merge Roofs of Two Buildings 18 Nov 2013 13:41 #1090

• Andrew Fiddian-Green
Many thanks for the info. Great support!!

Just for the avoidance of doubt, in which building are the gable end & attic walls of the annexe roof located?

If the gable end & attic walls are in the annexe building, and the roof is in the main building, how do you ensure that the walls are properly "snipped" to match the profile of the roof on the other building?

Alternatively if gable end wall, attic walls and the roof itself are all on the same (main) building, then how do you ensure that the gable end & attic walls don't sink into, (or have a gap from), the walls of the annexe building?

Merge Roofs of Two Buildings 18 Nov 2013 11:57 #1089

Roof merge.. Yes the roof to be merged should be within the same building, but this should not prevent you from drawing the roof over the annex, but on the main building. You will need to draw the roof using the polygon method and not auto contour.

Here I created a main building with roof, then added an annex as a new building with different ceiling height, Then on main building I added the roof over the annex, then merged the two roofs.

The inner boarding can be switched on/off using Extension elements-Roof panelling in the Visibility dialog.( I never understood why its not with the other roof elements....)

Applicable to Visual Building Premium

Merge Roofs of Two Buildings 18 Nov 2013 09:19 #1088

• Andrew Fiddian-Green
The project that I am working on has a main house with high ceilings and an annexe with lower ceilings. And so I have modeled this as two separate but adjoining buildings in order to handle the room height differences. However the roofs of the two buildings are joined.

I thought that I could use the "merge roofs" feature to join the two roofs. But it seems that this only works for joining two roofs in the same building. So how shall I proceed?

I thought of moving the annexe's roof over as a layer to the main building plan; so the main building would have a layer with a disembodied roof hanging over where the annexe would be. But then there is a problem of how to handle the attic/gable walls under this annexe roof...

I also have a second question concerning Visibility of roof elements: Obviously in the Visibilty dialogue there are check boxes so you can turn off the visibility for the roof cladding, rafters etc. But I cannot see a check box to make the inner boarding of the roof invisible. Am I missing something here?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds