• This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
31 Aug 2022
Our new version 11.0.11.0 is now available.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Extending buildings has had side effects 13 May 2014 18:40 #1462

Details and limitations of the Room boundary wall are in the Visual Building User Documentation (currently page 252)

The Extend Buildin tool will work most of the time, but can have unexpected results. I use it to experirment with different room sizes and shapes, but once I find my optimum size I would extend each wall manually.

Also to avoid mishaps with mouse clicks/snapping when extending a building, I would suggest using the numeric imput tools.

Extending buildings has had side effects 13 May 2014 18:02 #1461

• Chris Thomas
  • Chris Thomas's Avatar Topic Author
Thank you - I have now worked through your debug document and learned some new stuff - for example the limitation of the partition wall type, and how a good wall connection differs visually from one where there is no gap, but no connection either.

I hope others find the document useful. This building is made up of four 'buildings' from differing dates, plus three 'buildings' that are planned for future dates, so room boundary walls are a huge part of the project. Since all the rooms had floors etc before extending the buildings, I suspect the virtual room boundary walls were not included in the extension of the buildings. Is there any particular way of defining the zone of a building to be extended that is more reliable or comprehensive than other ways?

Thanks for the debug!

Chris

Extending buildings has had side effects 12 May 2014 12:24 #1456

When using the extend building it is possible to pull the walls out of alignment and not realise it. If you do use the extend building tool then check the walls for alignment and connections carefully. The extend building tool does not apply to the roof structure.

Here is an analysis and debugging procedure of your project. some of the problems could have been created by the extend building tool, but not all:

Original Project (zip file)

Debugged Project (zip file)

Project debugging procedure

The debuuging procedure can be applied to any project.

Extending buildings has had side effects 11 May 2014 10:59 #1449

• Chris Thomas
  • Chris Thomas's Avatar Topic Author
Hi, I would be grateful if you would look at the attached.

I extended four buildings (1990s west, 2015 south, 2015 south east and Plant Room/New Utility) to the South by 0.4m.

As a consequence, several rooms on both floors are incomplete and the Garden Room shows up on some views but not others, with no obvious logic. The levels (wall heights etc) have become distorted on the Plant room, on both floors.

I have replaced some virtual walls which did not update with the building dimension changes, but nothing completes the rooms except for the kitchen extension, on the ground floor of the plant room building. I also deleted and re-entered ti first floor wall in the 2015 South Building, which has always given trouble, but have not tried re-doing the virtual walls yet - there seems to be too much fundamental work to do to get back to 'normal'.

How can I rectify matters and move forward please?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds