• This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
31 Aug 2022
Our new version 11.0.11.0 is now available.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

3ds import error message 13 Aug 2014 09:48 #1637

I first loaded the project without your new objects (by not inserting them into the catalogue) and the projects loads OK, but is small, and needed Show All in order to see it. This implies that one or more of the objects is the wrong scale and too big and hence why you cant see the project in 3D. Delete the object you see and your project will appear.

Even better, select and double click on the object you see and you will see it is 2100 m high. Change its height to someting more appropriate like 2.1m high or click on Original Size and your project will appear, if you click on Show All

3ds import error message 12 Aug 2014 18:54 #1633

• Chris Thomas
  • Chris Thomas's Avatar Topic Author
Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. All the units used have been imported from Sketchup models, converted, used, and stored in the catalogue. About eight Sketchup models in all.

The problem is that a new 3D view will normally show me the entire project - buildings, walls, floors, doors, windows, according to what is selected in the project tree. Currently, all I can see in any 3D view is one model cupboard, the third out of six that were imported and converted. Closing down and restarting Visual Building does not clear the situation.

I have re-opened the program, and the 3D view is shown

in the screen clip attached alongside the tree.....
Attachments:

3ds import error message 12 Aug 2014 17:20 #1631

• Chris Thomas
Thanks once again - I distorted the scale, swapped depth measurements for width, used the show-all command, and suddenly it all makes sense. The kitchen now has furniture.

As a side effect, my 3D views are now all of one of the first cupboards I imported - including any new views I open. Visibility and properties look normal for the full project view, closing the project and re-opening makes no difference, and nor does making the whole project the current element in the project tree.

Once more, I seem to be at a dead end. Thoughts welcome!

Thanks, Chris

3ds import error message 12 Aug 2014 14:35 #1630

Importing the object into Visual Building's 3D Converter (Professional and Premium only) gives this:

Ignore the scaling % and is really only useful if you want to change the size as a %, especially if you want to distort the object by a %.

The data also shows the measured dimensions of the model, in this case 1754m x 910m x 688 m, which is clearly too large. So just enter the actual dimensions (1.68m x 0.62m x 0.9m). If you enter 1.68m as the Depth, (which is actually the length, the other measurements and scale will also change automatically. If the height and width are not what you want, then it can only be that the model was not originally drawn correctly. You can set Scale distorted flag, which will then allow you to set the height and width independently.

Note when you make such dimension changes the model may becpome too small to see, so right click in the window and select Show All.

Note however that the dimensions will include the models external size, so in this case this will include the draw knobs that protrude beyond the depth of the model, so if you make the model 0.62m wide, the actual worktop will be slightly smaller. To be exact the width of the model must also include the amount by which the draw knob protrudes the tops width.

Click to Zoom: The .cyg object loaded into Visual Building

The model will only be as accurate as it was originally drawn. Unfortuneately the actual model scale is not exported with the model so you often need to enter the actual dimensions.

Nice model and textures!

3ds import error message 11 Aug 2014 20:26 #1627

• Chris Thomas
Thanks for that - I now see that I can simply save the modified file direct from the 3D converter to the catalogue once I have given CACAD.exe administrator rights. I had not spotted that video. I am tempted to go through the manual inserting URLs to videos at relevent places!

Scaling is still making no sense to me. The model I have imported represents a piece of furniture 1680w x 620d x 900 h.

Leaving the scaling at 100/100%/100% iI get a converted model 100mtres in all three directions.

When I set the scaling to 1.680/100%/100% (since the model should already be in correct proportion) I end up with a model 11.521m x 15.288m x 29.4695m. These dimensions don't yield any consistent ration to the original dimensions, however i look at them.

I attach the original file, but what I really need is to understand scaling - the help index, the manual, the 3D converter video and a Forum search have all yielded nothing yet. Is there a help section I have not found?

3ds import error message 10 Aug 2014 16:59 #1623

To exit the 3D Converter click on the button marked X in the top right of the window. Its at the far right end of the tabs.

The 3D converter has its own import. Watch the 3D Converter video at 0:26 Here a 3ds object is imported, bu the same is for cyg
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds