• This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
31 Aug 2022
Our new version 11.0.11.0 is now available.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

IMPORTING OF BIM ITEMS 11 Jan 2016 19:22 #2423

I just did a search for 3ds here on the forum and there are 60+ topics, so maybe you are not using the search correctly.

Ensure you have the correct search period set eg set to Any Date, otherwise you will limit your search.

You don't mention that you used the Import tool, the 3D Converter. Its well documented in the Visual Building User documentation .

A .cgs file is not a .3ds file so you cant just change the file suffix.

Here is a video showing a 3ds import

The Visual Building Training Course Manual shows you how to convert an object to a door object.

Most of the 3D objects topics will direct you to the tutorial videos

If you still have a problem, upload the .3ds file and the resulting .cyg file that you have created with the converter so that I can advise further

IMPORTING OF BIM ITEMS 11 Jan 2016 17:23 #2422

• John Cooke
  • John Cooke's Avatar Topic Author
I must be missing something. I have created a sub-folder called (imported) within the objects folder and can see that folder in the right-hand side bar - the one that shows the catalogue. I have imported a .3ds file of a door and I can see the file. However, when I click on the properties of the imported door there is now preview at all and I cannot get it to assign it attributes to the door opening I have highlighted. I even checked the door catalogue and looked at the file endings for the doors shown their - all of which have .cyg endings. I then changed the .3ds file ending of the door I had imported to .cyg but that did not help at all.

I have checked on the forum and can find nothing about importing .3ds files and using them. Would it be possible for you to provide some guidance.

Many thanks,

John

IMPORTING OF BIM ITEMS 11 Jan 2016 13:10 #2421

• John Cooke
Thank you for that information.

John

IMPORTING OF BIM ITEMS 11 Jan 2016 13:06 #2420

Currently, Visual Building does not support BIM (but we hope to have this in a future release). Visual Building can import .3ds objects, which are of a much better quality than BIM. There are many .3ds catalogues available.on the internet.
Via .3ds format you can also import objects from Sketchup. Search this forum for Sketchup and /or 3ds for more information.

IMPORTING OF BIM ITEMS 11 Jan 2016 09:57 #2419

• John Cooke
I note that your catalogue contains mainly German based items. Is it possible to import other items such as items from the UK National BIM database?

John Cooke
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds