• This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
31 Aug 2022
Our new version 11.0.11.0 is now available.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Import brick textures from ipad 31 Oct 2012 20:28 #472

• admin
The actual texture size will of course depend upon the resolution, photo image size etc of the photo used. You can determine what size to set your texture by creating a wall 1115m wide and dropping the texture onto the wall.

Brick sizes vary, but for example assume you are using a brick 215mm x 102.5 x 65mm and allowing 10mm for mortar, adjust the image horizontal width so that it fits exactly 5 bricks. (215+10+215+10+215+10+215+10+215 = 1115m). You can adjust the height using either a known wall height or sill height. (5+65 +10 +65 +10 +65 +10 +65 +5 = 300) This would create 4 bricks high onto 300mm high wall.

This brick texture was cut from a brick manufacturers catalogue and using a texture width of 0.25 and a height of 0.15 we achieve the following:
Click image to zoom

The online documentation has been updated with a full explanation to create wall textures.

Here are some online brick manufacture catalogues where you can source brick textures from:

Bovingdon
Carlton Bricks
Coleford
Furness
HGMathews
Ibstock
Ketley Bricks
Northcot
Wienerberger
York Handmade Brick Company

Re: Import brick textures from ipad 31 Oct 2012 17:28 #471

Thank you. I tried that and it worked well. I had to guess the image size by trial and error to get the bricks scale correct. Is there a more scientific way of determining the image dimensions?

Re: Import brick textures from ipad 30 Oct 2012 14:15 #470

• admin
The Wienerberger brick selector is also available on Windows on their website www.wienerberger.co.uk . However if you need to get anything from an IPad either install DropBox on both your iPad and PC or send your self an email from your iPad to your PC.

The same applies to most of the brick and tile manufactures that provide online catalogues, (Eienerberger, Ibstock and Hanson). See also the Brick Selector

Take note that some of the brick textures in the above mentioned catalogues are not suitable because they are not good images and the visualisation result will not be good if you do not start with a good image. The images are too large in area and are not created for repetitive tiling.

If you look at our brick samples they are smaller repetitive images as in the following image:

https://www.visualbuilding.co.uk/images/forum/01_01.bmp

Note how the image can be tiled both vertically and horizontally.

The following image demonstrates the effects of using photo as a source of an image to tile a wall. The left texture has a dark blemish in the bottom right and when tiled, the blemish is repeated for each tile and so destroys the illusion. The centre texture is the same photo but with a reduced area, the result showing an improvement with no blemish. The right texture is the same image reduced to a small area of the original photo. The result is a small improvement. Thhe original photo was of decent quality, but some photo textures can be i,prove by editing them with PhotoShop and using the Offset filter to create a tileable (seamless) image.

Note the texture size is also edited in order to maintain the brick scale.

Click image to zoom (note this is a composite screenshot)

Here are the textures used if you want to experiment yourself. Download and copy them into your texture folder and they will appear in the catalogue.
https://www.visualbuilding.co.uk/images/forum/red-brick-wall1.bmphttps://www.visualbuilding.co.uk/images/forum/red-brick-wall2.bmp

Import brick textures from ipad 30 Oct 2012 14:03 #469

Im using the Wienerberger brick selector on my ipad and have found several possible brick textures that I would like to visualise in my Visual Building project. Can you advise how I can get the Wienerberger brick textures (or Hanson brick textures) into your software, ideally from my ipad.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds