• This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
31 Aug 2022
Our new version 11.0.11.0 is now available.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Export 3D model Google Sketchup 09 Apr 2015 08:56 #2092

As with the above example, you can export a Visual Building project as a 3ds object and import that into Sketchup. Following the Sketchup tuttorial shoild then give you the ability to walk through the model.
However we have had better results exporting 3ds model to Unity3D.

See Unity3D demos

Also you can use Blender to edit the exported 3ds file if you need to reduce the detail exported in the 3ds by Visual Building.

Re: Export 3D model Google Sketchup 09 Apr 2015 08:18 #2091

Is it possible to export to Sketchup and then do a 'walk around' as in this Sketchup video:-

www.sketchup.com/learn/videos/60

At the bottom of the list is a video tutorial called 'Walk'

With Thanks

Clive

Re: Export 3D model Google Sketchup 17 Apr 2012 08:40 #199

• admin
The Visual Building Professional does include tools that allow you to create your own objects. This works well for regular shaped objects and is therefore suitable for creating furniture and components that you may wish to use in your construction. Curved objects such as cars and human bodies are more complex, and although not impossible to create are best created using a 3D tool designed specifically for that- such as 3D Studio Max, Blender and Truespace. However there is a learning curve to these tools...

This thread has got a bit off topic aas the original question concerned using Visual Building models in Sketchup. Please start another thread if you need more advice on 3D Studio Max, Blender and Truespace etc.

Re: Export 3D model Google Sketchup 17 Apr 2012 08:31 #198

• harryc
Thank you for your suggestions. I see that the Professional version has its own 3D model editing tools. Could I use this to create my stone models instead of an expensive 3d modelling tool? I dont want to take the route of purchasing the version of sketchup that can export 3ds.

Re: Export 3D model Google Sketchup 15 Apr 2012 14:14 #195

• admin
1. The key to this is .3ds. The free version of Sketchup only exports .kmz or .dae files. You need the Sketchup Pro version to export .3ds directly, which Visual Building Profesional (and upwards) can import and save into its catalogue.

or

2. There are file translators available with Blender (also free) that can import your .dae file and export as a .3ds.

or

3. When I last looked the .kmz file is just a compressed .dae (Digital Asset Exchange) . (Change the .dae to .zip allows you to extract the .dae file). Autodesk's FBX converter will also import a .dae file and created a .fbx file which also lets you save it as a .3ds file.

Re: Export 3D model Google Sketchup 15 Apr 2012 13:42 #194

• harryc
Hey, Im not sure if this is the right place to ask. I have created several items of garden stoneware furniture using sketchup. Is it possible for me to import these into your software's catalogue in order to show customers how it might look in their garden. Im using the free version of sketchup 8 and so am limited to what that can export.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds