• This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Notice

The forum is in read only mode.

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
31 Aug 2022
Our new version 11.0.11.0 is now available.
Read More...
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Difficult roof lines 16 Oct 2013 10:27 #966

• Jeremy Sage
  • Jeremy Sage's Avatar Topic Author
Wow! That is spot on. I think I got put off by the problems with the ridge when making a single roof and did not pursue this (going for multiple roofs instead). However, if I can replicate this (no reason why not) then I can put up with a kink in the ridge line or overhang at the other end. I will give it a try.

I have not measured the pitch of the roof but to my untrained eye it looks a little steeper than 45°. Once I have measured up I will recreate things in VB properly. Unfortunately, the only pictures I have from the south do not show the awkward bit.

Thanks very much for all the help. I'll give it a go now trying to get the roof right and once I am confident of that I'll do the whole building.

JS.

Difficult roof lines 16 Oct 2013 09:44 #963

The photo explains a lot more about your roof.

So the next step is to reduce the eaves height of your west extension.

In this case I have reduced the eaves height to 0, for both eaves for this extensions roof.

Do you have a photo show viewing view of south side.

Also I assume all roof pitches are 45 degrees, please advise if different.

Difficult roof lines 14 Oct 2013 19:48 #962

• Jeremy Sage
Thanks very much for the continued suggestions. Unfortunately, this doesn't quite do it. The west end of the house (the left in the plan view) is not as deep as the east. The main part of the roof is symmetrical about the walls at the west end, without the larger overhang you have shown over the north wall, so when it goes full width at the east end it is asymmetrical and the roof around the small gable comes down lower. I have attached a picture below.

I did try creating a single roof around the wall line but VB tried to make it symmetrical at either end by creating an offset in the pitch line and the gable ended up at the same height. That is why I ended up creating several roofs and adjusting their height individually.

One of the key parts of our project is to evaluate some changes to the end around the gable and we really need to visualise the potential options which was the reason for getting Visual Building and why I need to get the starting point right.

I will continue to try but any more suggestions are welcome.

(The crooked walls I think were due to a change in wall width which seemed to create an offset but I don't think it affected the roof at all).

Thanks again.

JS
Attachments:

Difficult roof lines 10 Oct 2013 11:08 #959

I redrew the plan with straight walls, and using the standard roof tools created the following:

I think this is closer to what you need. I have emailed you this project.

Difficult roof lines 10 Oct 2013 10:18 #958

You can download the Visual Building Premium version and test out the extended roof features for yourself. It is a full version with a 5 day license and will install alongside your existing version, and thus wont interfere with it.

A quick test however showed that the roof merge will not solve this problem because of the way the Hip of the main roof merges with the small roof Ridge. It could niot handle this situation. I think the best solution is to create separate buildings and roofs for the different section. Your current solution has a single building with multiple roofs. Try giving each roof section its own building.

Note that the west wall is not 100% vertical (relative to your images). This can also cause problems if you then snap a roof onto such a wall- though rectifying did not resolve the problem in this case.

Difficult roof lines 09 Oct 2013 21:03 #957

• Jeremy Sage
Thanks for the tip for the cutting in to walls. Unfortunately, I have not had much luck with this. If I set the overhang to zero I get a section of wall coming up as below. I have tried closing and reopening the project but it is still there.

Gradually increasing the overhang from zero (up to 0.599) reduces the size of the wall protrusion to a sliver but then once back to the original value (0.6) it cuts back in to the wall.

Looks like I will need the roof merging capabilities of the Premium edition but I'd like to know it will cope with this roof structure as it is my starting point.

Thanks for your help. I know you are looking at my project so hopefully we'll get a solution.

JS
Attachments:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds